How to Obtain Residential Domestic Water Service from the Coachella Valley Water District

This guide is intended for non-developer tract homes projects and need to request a new meter or if you already have a domestic water meter and the lot is vacant. If you already have an existing house on your property with an existing domestic meter, please visit our Customer Service website. Developers of tract homes should reference our Development Design Manual.

  1. First determine if the parcel is within the boundaries of CVWD and determine if there are nearby water and sewer pipelines in the area. Use the links below and enter the address of the property or you can zoom to the location.

    If there are no nearby pipelines, you will need to enter into an agreement with CVWD in order to hire a licensed Civil Engineer to design a pipeline extension and a licensed Contractor to construct the pipeline extension at your own cost. State law prohibits CVWD from extending pipelines to new customers. Please contact us at the phone number at the bottom the of this page.
  2. Obtain the domestic water flow requirements (maximum flow and minimum pressure) from your architect. In addition, determine if the fire sprinkler system can be shared (multipurpose) with the domestic water or if it will require a separate stand alone system. You can usually obtain this information from the same agency as the building department approving your home or your fire sprinkler designer. If you are installing a mobile home that was manufactured prior to 2011, you will not need to provide fire sprinkler demands. You will be required to provide documentation on the year of the mobile home with your application.
  3. Landscaping and Irrigation Review and Approval
    1. If your property’s landscape area is less than 2,500 square feet, you will need to submit a hand drawn sketch or landscape plans with CVWD Form 995. The form and landscape plans may be submitted via email to
    2. If your property will have a total project landscape equal to or greater than 2,500 square feet, you will be required to submit formal landscape and irrigation plans. Most licensed landscapers in the Coachella Valley are familiar with CVWD requirements. The landscape checklist (CVWD Form 360) and plans should be submitted in person or via courier to Water Management at 75-525 Hovley Lane East, Palm Desert CA 92211. If sending by U.S.P.S. please send to Post Office Box 1058, Coachella, CA 92236.
  4. You will need to be able to provide your Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN) and Lot Number. You can find the APN and the lot number on the property’s legal description and/or grant deed. You may also find this information at the County of Riverside Assessor Office website.
  5. Complete and sign the Domestic Water Service Request – Residential (New Meter) Form (WS-28DS).
  6. Please email the completed form to If you do not receive an email confirmation within three (3) business days, please contact us at the phone number at the bottom the of this page.
  7. If all the information is complete and the landscape plans have been approved by Water Management, we will be able to provide an invoice of all fees. All fees must be paid, prior to installation of services.
  8. Fees typically include 1) Installation Charges (based on meter size and if a service line is already plumbed to your property), 2) Water System Backup Facility Charge, 3) Water Demand Offset Fee, and if obtaining sewer service, the 4) Sewer Capacity Charge. There may be other fees depending on the property’s situation. A Development Services Staff will be able to review your fees upon processing of a completed application package.
  9. Water services, meters, and backflows shall be installed by CVWD only.
  10. Sewer lateral pipelines in the public right-of-way shall be installed by a CVWD pre-approved contractor under direct CVWD Inspection at the expense of the property owner. For a list of pre-approved contractors, please refer to form WS-72.

Issues that may delay timely service:

  1. Incomplete applications and missing information.
  2. Not submitting landscape plans.
  3. Not having fire sprinkler requirements.

If you have any further questions, please call (760) 398-2651 between the hours of 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, except CVWD Holidays. Please request to speak with someone in Development Services. You may also email us at